Skip to main content

At present, we do not have an articulation agreement or transfer or credit agreement between any other institutions. However, we do accept transfer of credit and this is detailed below.

Following the guidelines of transfer credit policy from American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers, (AACRAO), the department head of the program as well as the Chief Academic Officer at AUHS will evaluate all previous college work in relation to the requirements of the program of study. Admissions Department convert semester units of credit transferred to the university to quarter units by multiplying semester-unit totals by one-half (1½).  All undergraduate degree accepted students will be issued a transferred credit summary upon enrollment that serves as a basis for determining remaining requirements for the students’ specific objectives.

The student is held responsible for submission of one of the required documents below to Admissions Department for transfer credit verification and evaluation.

  • A completed prerequisite and general education course verification form;
  • A copy of the school catalog or documentation showing that the Program/Institution where the student wants the credits to transfer from is accredited by United States Department of Education;
  • A copy of the course syllabus with a class content outline sufficient in length and content to determine the depth and scope of the course;
  • An official transcript containing the grade received for the course, and the course must have been successfully completed within the time frame stated in the AUHS transfer policy.

There is no extra charge for students to request transfer credit.

Transferability of Credits

The transferability of credits you earn at American University of Health Sciences is at the complete discretion of an institution to which you may seek to transfer. Acceptance of the degree/certificate you earn in any of our educational programs is also at the complete discretion of the institution to which you may seek to transfer. If the credits/degree/or certificate that you earn at this in situation are not accepted at the institution to which you seek to transfer, you may be required to repeat some or all of your coursework at that institution. For this reason, you should make certain that your attendance at this institution will meet your educational goals. This may include contacting an institution to which you may seek to transfer after attending American University of Health Sciences to determine if your credits/degree/or certificate will transfer.

Transfer of Credit Policy

  1.  All credits/units from other schools proposed for transfer must be verified and evaluated for credit to be established.
  2.  Credit for comparable coursework required in the program of study must have been completed at accredited institutions recognized by the United States Department of Education.
  3.  Credit for coursework identified by such institutions as remedial, or in other ways as being nontransferable will not be accepted toward the satisfaction of baccalaureate degree within limitations of transfer credit requirements and a maximum number of transfer units.
  4.  Upper-division credit (300 and 400 series courses) is not allowed for courses taken in a community college. Course credits are not transferable for courses taken at an occupational school or ones taken at a community college or at a vocational school.
  5.  MSCR co-requisite courses that have satisfied the requirements describe in that section can be transferred from both community colleges and universities.
  6.  Coursework, to be considered transferrable, must have been achieved at a minimum GPA required by the program of study.
  7.  A maximum of 48 semester (72 quarter) units/credits is allowed to be transferred to undergraduate programs, and a maximum of 6 semester (9 quarter) credits for the graduate program.

List of Co-requisite courses that allow transfer credits into Graduate Study:

CR 100 Medical Terminology 1.5
CR 500 Human Anatomy & Physiology 3.5
CR 688 Communication Skills Development 3

Undergrad Level Transferable Courses

Download the PDF of Transferred Classes & Course Descriptions for AUHS General Education (I)

Anthropology 250-Cultural Anthropology  4
Art 200 Medical Illustration I  3
Art 300 Medical Illustration II  3
Communications 150 – Oral Communications & Public Speaking  4
English 101 – English Composition  4
English 207 – Creative Writing  4
Economic 202 – Micro-Economics  4
Economic 302 – Macro-Economics  3
History 101 – American History & Constitutions  4
**Nursing 310- Human Life Cycle  3
**Nutrition 230- Nutrition  3
Philosophy 160 – Critical Thinking  4
Philosophy 304 – Ethics  4
Political Science 101 – American Political Institutions  4
Psychology 100 – Psychology  4
Sociology 100 – Sociology  4

Download the PDF of Transferred Classes & Course Descriptions for AUHS Natural Sciences (II)

Chemistry 151 A & B and 151 A & B L – General, Organic and Bio-Chemistry with Lab 6
Biology 200A and 200A L – Human Anatomy with Lab 4
Biology 200 B and 200 B L – Human Physiology with Lab 4
**Biology 230 – Pathophysiology 4
Microbiology 201 and 201 L – Microbiology with Lab 4
**Pharmacology 210 – Clinical Pharmacology 3
Physics 305 and 305L – College Physics I with Lab 5
Physics 403 and 403 L – College Physics I with Lab 5

Download the PDF of Transferred Classes & Course Descriptions for AUHS Mathematics Courses (III)

Mathematics 110 – Quantitative Reasoning 4
Statistics 415 – (Bio) Statistics 4
Calculus 102 – Calculus I 4
Calculus 201 – Calculus II 4

Credit by Examination

Students enrolled in any undergraduate programs at AUHS who wish to receive credit for knowledge gained through prior education may challenge a course or requirement. Comprehensive Proficiency Examinations are available on a limited basis and at the discretion of the department Dean/Chairperson. Students are responsible to attend classes until they have passed the CPE challenge successfully.

By request only and follow these steps:

  1. Submission of an approved “Course Verification Form ” and Request of “Credit by Examination” From to Student Services and Affairs by the deadline.
  2. Once proper documents are reviewed and approved, students should pay a non-refundable examination fee.
  3. Student Services will arrange the date of the exam.
  4. If you pass the exam, credit (CR) for the class will appear on your transcript as test credit for the semester and you will be dropped from the class.
  5. If you do not pass the exam, you must need to register and enroll in the class.

Fee: The examinations are listed in the course schedule. A $500 non-refundable fee rather than tuition applies. Specific information regarding these examinations is available from the Student Services and Affairs. Students are responsible for course fees if they fail the challenge examination.

Required documents: An official transcript companied by a course syllabus/description; an approved request form by the Chief Academic Dean or Senior Administrator or by the Chairman of the related department.


  • A maximum of eighteen (18) semester units/twenty-seven (27) quarter units (undergraduate program) or six (6) semester / nine (9) quarter units (graduate program) may be earned through proficiency examinations.
  • A total number of units either by transfer or by examination should not exceed 48 semester units or 72 quarter units.
  • Students are responsible to attend classes until they have passed the course.
  • A course may be challenged by examination only once.


In order to receive credit, the student must pass a comprehensive proficiency examination. The grade assigned for credit by examination is recorded in the same manner as for other courses. Credit is not given for any class which the student has previously attempted and failed or for which he/she has previously sought credit by examination. Only CR (credit) will be awarded for these examinations (No record of failures will appear on a student’s transcript.) All credit awarded in this manner will be so noted on the student’s transcript.

Credit for External Examination AP / IB / CLEP Examination Credit

The three (3) standardized examinations recognized by the university to determine knowledge and skill level to be exempted from certain courses or requirement is:

  1. Advanced Placement (AP) tests,
  2. The College Level Examination Program (CLEP), and
  3. The International Baccalaureate (IB) program

Credit for Advanced Placement (AP) Exams

The Advanced Placement Program sponsored by the College Board and administered by Educational Testing Service (ETS) offers secondary school students with the opportunity to participate in challenging college-level coursework while still in high school.

Students who have successfully completed courses in the Advanced Placement Program (AP) of the College Entrance Examination Board (defined as receiving a score of 3, 4 or 5) shall be granted credit for each advanced placement course toward graduation, advanced placement in the university’s sequence of courses and credit for curriculum requirements.

Art, Studio Art, Drawing Art 200: Medical Illustration I with portfolio 3 3,4,5
Calculus B C Calculus 102: Calculus I 4 3,4,5
Chemistry Chemistry 151: A/B and 151 A/B (L) 6 4,5
English Language and Composition English 101: College Composition 4 3,4,5
Microeconomics Economics 202: Microeconomics 4 3,4,5
Macroeconomics Economics 302: Macroeconomics 3 3,4,5
Government Political Science 101: American Political Institutions 4 3,4,5
Physics B: Mechanics Physics 305 and 305L: College Physics I 5 4,5
Psychology Psychology 101: General Psychology 4 3,4,5
US History History 101: American History and Constitutions 4 3,4,5


CLEP is a national program that allows students to obtain credit by examination. CLEP examinations are computer based and create instant score reports. CLEP examinations cover material taught in courses that most students take as requirements in the first two years of college. Each exam is 90 minutes long and primarily comprises multiple-choice questions; however, some exams do have fill-ins. The CLEP program’s long-standing policy limiting test retakes to every six (6) months provides students an opportunity to spend additional time preparing for the exam or the option of taking a classroom course. Please visit the CLEP Prep Center on the College Board website at for useful tips on assessing and preparing for any of the CLEP exams.

For more information about the test and/or to take a CLEP exam, applicants can go to AUHS Code: 4977.


American Government Political Science 101 US Government 4 60
Analyzing & Interpreting Literature English 101 – English Composition 4 50
College Algebra Math 110 – College Algebra 4 50
Calculus Calculus 102 – Calculus I 4 60
History of the united States II – Early Colonization to 1877 and History of the United States II – 1865 to Present History 101 – American History & Constitutions 4 60
Human Growth and Development Nursing 310 – Human Life Cycle 3 60
Introductory Psychology Psychology 100 – General Psychology 4 50
Introductory Sociology Sociology 100 – Introduction to Sociology 4 50
Principle of Macroeconomics Economics 302 – Macro Economics 4 60
Principle of Microeconomics Economics 202 – Micro Economics 3 60


IB program is a Geneva-based program of study offered through high schools throughout the world. The program consists of a comprehensive system of courses and examinations that focus on the development of a high quality, liberal arts education (visit for more information).

AUHS recognizes the IB program, so applicants may be awarded credits in the subject areas listed below by passing the stated IB examinations with stated scores.

Chemistry HL Chemistry 151 A & B 6 6,7
Economics HL HUM 202 Microeconomics 3 5,6,7
Math SL College Algebra 4 5,6,7
Math HL Calculus 102 Calculus I 4 6,7
Further Math SL Calculus 201 Calculus II 2 6,7
Physics HL Physics 305 and 305L: College Physics I 5 6,7
Psychology HL Psychology 101: General Psychology 4 6,7
Social Anthropology HL Anthology 250: Cultural Anthropology 4 5,6,7
A student who receives an “I/INC” that results in a CGPA below the SAP standards will be placed on probation until such time as the “I/INC” is removed and the CGPA is reevaluated.

Credit for Prior Experiential Learning

The University does not at this time accept or give credit for Prior Experiential Learning. However, students who wish to receive Veteran benefits must submit a statement of previous training to the school for consideration. All appropriate credit will be allowed and recorded on a veteran student’s enrollment record and the length of the course will be shortened appropriately. In keeping with the policies of the Veterans Administration, we do accept up to 12-quarter credit units/hours of prior experiential learning for veterans.

Award of prior credit is done on a case-by-case basis and is dependent on credit awarded by the Military for its schooling such as basic training, Officer’s Candidacy schooling, Command and General Staff etc., or appropriate, creditable prior military experience (e.g. service in a foreign war, service during war-time, continuous and prolonged service to the military, etc.). The veteran must request and provide the following:

  1. All transcripts
  2. Acknowledgement and receipt of military schooling
  3. A statement which explains prior experiential learning

The above items and experiences are examined, analyzed, and if appropriate may be applied to the area of study as part of the AUHS degree in the chosen area.

LVN 45-Unit Option

The LVN 45 Unit Option is Mandated by California Administrative Code, Title 16, Article 3, Section 1429. California law for nurses requires that every school make possible the award of credit to make it possible for a LVN to receive enough credit to sit for the RN-NCLEX examination in the state of California. The LVN 45-unit option was designed as a career ladder for California Licensed Vocational Nurses (LVN) wishing to become registered nurses. While most states do not

recognize California’s LVN 30 or 45 Unit Options and will not issue RN licenses to these LVNs, the Board of Nursing (BRN) in California mandates that every California school make the option available to licensed vocational nurses (LVNs). The number of units (30 or 45) depends on quarter or semester options. AUHS is on a quarter unit system and therefore a 45 unit option is mandated by law.